A calorie is a calorie- so it is said. It is true you can lose weight (and gain weight) by simply counting your intake. However if long term health is your goal, the composition of food is perhaps far more important. Eating clean will prevent metabolic disorders like diabetes, keep your body toxin free, extend your life, increase your energy and reduce your bodyfat percentage.
Here are five simple things to remember to in order to keep your diet squeaky clean
- Eliminate Junk
Everyone knows what these foods are. Don’t ask questions, there is no “just one item”. Stop eating them. Junk foods will not only clog your arteries but are also addictive and will increase your appetite. Withdrawal symptoms are normal when one breaks free of junk. Just do it.
Examples- Pizzas, burgers, chocolate, chips, Maggie, laddus, samosas, pakodas, cakes etc. . .
- Eliminate the hidden Junk
These are the foods that people are doubtful about and mistakenly include in excess in their diets in the belief they are healthy.
These foods are- wheat, white rice, atta, processed juices and beverages, soya, baked goods and anything processed proclaiming to be healthy like digestive biscuits.
- Substitute with healthy alternatives
These include in carbs- brown rice, oats, boiled potatoes, whole fruits, arbi and vegetables of all types. In proteins- all lean cuts of meat, fish, seafood, milk, eggs and dairy, pulses, legumes and beans. In fats- all nuts, olive and castor oil. Other foods are seeds, lentils, herbs, teas, coffee and spices. Drink a lot of water as well.
- Find a system that is practical
Food composition is much more important than anything else like food freshness, meal frequency etc. So find a system that is practical for you, which lets you eat these foods on a daily basis and not deviate from them. If these means cooking food 4 days at a time and eating only 2 meals a day, then so be it.
- The 80% rule
You do not have to get your diet right 100% of the time. As long as you get it 80% of the time the other 20% will not matter and in fact will only help you stay sane. Just don’t let the 80% slide to a 60%.